Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Storms Over Secrets by J.A. DeRouen Review

Jena: 4.75 Stars
Sanzana: 
Promises are lies dressed up for the party.
Secrets poison the fairest of fairy tales.
Lies stain the purest of loves.

I’ve paid the ultimate price for my choices. The tendrils of those sins bind me to my past. The remnants of my love hold me captive.

Then he walks into my life, and makes me believe in second chances. He awakens feelings in me I know I shouldn’t have. I yearn for a future without guilt. With him, I dream of a love untainted.

Regret is a far-reaching emotion. It barrels through time like a blazing comet, and its path isn’t always straight. No matter what I feel, I cannot bring myself to regret the time I’ve spent with Cain.

But it doesn’t mean I can have him.

My name is Celia Lemaire and this is my story of broken promises.

Storms Over Secrets is the third book in The Over Series, a group of interconnected standalone novels.

Jena's Review: 

          "Promises will be the death of me; this is the one truth I know with complete and utter certainty. I drop my head to the table and touch my forehead to our clasped hands. “I promise,” I whisper."

     Here is another book from J.A. Derouen that will go down as an amazing read. She has this way of writing a book that you know you will love, but manages to throw in those twist and turns that keep pulling you in deep for more. I think the thing I loved most about this book was the constant guess of how it will end. How can it end in a way that doesn't destroy you. And isn't that the point of the book? Isn't that what J.A. is trying to portray with Celia? Well, mission accomplished. And I won't give anything away, so I'll stop there with that line of thought. Just know that this book delivers on what is promised. 

     Now, I was a little worried about reading this book because I LOVE Wings Over Poppies and West is my number one man .... and it's still my favorite ... but dear god, did I love Cain. Oh man ... if I love West for his dark and broody ways, I love Cain for his light and loving ways. I can't think of many male MC that I have read similar to Cain. He is unique in his resilience and downright stubbornness, mixed with his deep caring of everyone. I love that man. He is both extremely sexy and manages to make jokes in every situation without taking away from the sexiness. That was probably my favorite part of the whole book. Just watching the interacting of Celia and Cain; of reading about Cain. 

          "But there are moments that have marked my life—where an overwhelming sense of clarity washes over me, and a new sense of purpose arises. Like the click of a kaleidoscope bringing everything into focus, or veins of water running down a window to leave a clear pane of glass, these flashes make the pieces of my life fall firmly into place. This … right here and now … is one of those moments. “Remembering? Feeling loss? It’s a normal part of the human condition. I think grieving can be a way for us to stay connected to the ones we’ve lost. Do you know what else is part of the human condition?” A slight head tilt is the only answer she gives me. “Living, Celia. Even in the face of unimaginable loss, it’s okay to live.” - Cain 
   I love Celia also. I don't think i got a good feel for who she was in the other books and I was so excited to get to know her better in this book. She is so strong and just as sweet as Cain. I really just love the two of these characters together. This story was different in a way that was great. It wasn't typical and it just felt good. I'm rambling and I know I haven't told you much about the story, but I don't want to give anything away .. Just know that the characters are amazing and you will fall in love with them. And the story is awesome! 

          “There is nothing in this world I want more than to be buried deep inside you. Not. One. Thing. But when I take you, I want to know I’m all you see. No memories, no regrets, no one but you and me. I want you to be all mine, Celia, and when you can do that, that’s when you get all of me. Okay?” - Cain

    So why not a full five stars? The romance was a little lacking in the beginning. I felt their friendship grow, but I think that friendship was supposed to be more of a relationship. So when they got together, I will still stuck in a friendship thoughts and not mentally prepared for the depth of their relationship.  But that's okay because I got caught up really quick. One more quick thing about this book. I don't think I have ever... EVER ... read a book that made me FEEL the longing between two characters better than I did in this book. Good gawd! It was palpable and I loved the amount of emotion evoked from me as a reader. 

          "He’s not my type, like at all, but he’s got his own swagger, ya know? He’s all ‘Oh, I’m so tall. Look at my ginormous green bean,’” Marlo mimics in a deep, husky voice while grabbing her crotch." - Marlo

    Finally, I am dying for Marlo's story. I have been wanting her story since Hope Over Fear. I can't freaking wait! Don't miss out on all her other books and get caught up. J.A. Derouen writes in a way I love and keeps me hanging on for more. Enjoy!
Sanzana's Review:

Coming Soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment