Friday, September 19, 2014

Adam's List by Jennifer Anne

Rating: 3.75 stars

Synopsis: She's ready to give up on life, hiding her depression with sarcasm and booze. He's got a secret and quit college, with few friends to lean on. When they discover each other, the sexual attraction is undeniable. So why does it seem impossible for them to be together?

Everyone wanted to be Jewels Peterson in high school. Naturally beautiful, exceptionally smart, talented cheerleader, life of the party, and with an All-American boyfriend to boot. One regrettable choice and fatal accident later, and Jewels found herself unceremoniously knocked off her pedestal. Now she’s in college, going through the motions, but not really living.

Adam Murphy is easy-going, charming, considerate, and crazy good looking; he’s exactly the kind of guy Jewels pictures herself being happy with. But Jewels is already involved with someone, and Adam makes it known that he’s guarding a dark secret, one that makes him the wrong guy for her. Trumped by the promise of an innocent friendship, Jewels is forced to ignore her overwhelming hunger for Adam.

After Jewels unknowingly helps Adam create a bucket list, they embark on the adventure of a lifetime that pushes their platonic relationship to its limits. But does she want to be with Adam without knowing the truth behind the skeletons in his closet, or is being with him just another pointless thing in her life?

Review: I was given this book for an honest review. 

I gave it a 3.75. It wasn't quite a 4 for me, but better than a 3.5. 

I liked this book a lot. I liked the story concept and how it was written. It definitely took us on a long journey that I enjoyed reading. 

In this story we learn about Jewels meeting Adam and watch their relationship grow. When she meets Adam she is slightly involved with someone, but we soon realize that it is nothing more than sex. It's an interesting beginning because we kind of only get slight glimpses at each character. We know Levi is older, but not how much older. Part of me pictured this guy in his thirties ... not at all. Then we meet Adam and we don't really know too much about him either. He's definitely protective of Jewels, but is he more geeky or bad boy? Is he more playboy or serious? Is he rich or poor? We don't get this information until later in the book. Same questions with Jewels. Part of me wishes that we knew this information earlier, but another part likes the slow reveals. I ended up really liking Jewels. Early on I pictured her as this really preppy cheerleader who was stuck up and rude and maybe had this fall from grace that led to her being a grunge and recluse. I think she was always who she is throughout the book and I ended up liking her character. If for nothing else than her sense of humor and music interests. She was someone who seemed nice with close friends and always had a love of music and sense of humor. We don't get any real solid story on what happened to her with her mental breakdown. We get it in its and pieces, so sometimes it's hard to follow. 

I really liked her friend Kelly and I'm looking forward to the next book, which is Kelly's. She was funny and I like the way that she reacted with Jewels. She was the voice of reason and realistic options for Jewels when she needed it. Adam was a good guy, but there were times where I still feel like I didn't get to know him as much as I wanted to. 

I feel like this book was broken up into two parts. Before the trip and during the trip. I think of some of the parts in the beginning that occurred with Levi and Jewels that I'm not sure were important, but at the same time it really made the story and build up between Adam and Jewels more informative. Even though it seemed irrelevant in the end.

the thing that kept me from giving this books a solid four was that I wasn't sure I really believed the build up between Jewels and Adam. I was almost just as thrown as Jewels when the time came that Adam finally kissed her. I know it was supposed to be passionate and feeling ... but I just wasn't really into it. There were a lot of time when Jewels debated her feelings with Adam and I didn't really believe the back and forth. Jewels went on and on in the beginning about how much she was falling for him that I didn't believe her when she was trying to fight them later on. That being said, once they finally got together, I was in it with them. I loved the relationship and the sorrow that I felt through this book. I loved the story and while Adam's actual secret may have crossed my mind, I wasn't 100%. I loved the twist and I felt the sorrow. It was just written very well. This book was also written really well to be set up for following books about characters in this book. I'm excited to see more from this author and plan on reading any other books to follow. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment