Sunday, September 28, 2014

Rain Check by Gypsy Rae Choszer

Rating: 4.5 Stars

Synopsis:

For Avery Montgomery, the devastation of losing her parents in a tragic accident has left her completely shattered. As she begins to pick up the pieces of her once perfect life, she uncovers a secret that will forever change her—she’s adopted!

In a search for answers, Avery ventures to Portland where she rents a room from Jonah, a quirky artist who quickly becomes her best friend. His house puts her in close proximity to the metaphysical shop run by her birth mother, the free-spirited Marianna Hutchins. Avery enters The Crystal Moon fully intending to confront Marianna, but instead she chickens out and inquires about a job. She's hired; yet remains leery about confessing her secret.

As Avery settles into town, she has an embarrassing encounter with Gabe, the incredibly attractive man who works a few doors down. Despite the awkward introduction, there is undeniable chemistry, but after a recent heartbreak all he’s looking for is friendship. 

Everyone deserves a second chance. Will Avery get hers with a new family? Will Gabe allow himself a second chance at love? Will they embrace their new relationships, or will they simply decide to take a rain check
?

Review:

*I was given this book for an honest review*
Wow, so this book was really good. But it was good in a way that is different than other books. It's subtle. I'm not saying anything bad about hte storyline but it wasn't anything that is unique in a phenomenal way. Even though I do love the story concept and the way it flowed. The story started off with Avery eperiencing the car crash that killed her parents, almost like a flashback or a dream. The next chapter is her in Portland with her new roommate Jonah, who I love. Throughout the story we get to see Avery and Gabe meet, which is hilarious, and watch as their relationship grows. While that is taking place, Avery is trying to work up the nerve to tell her birthmother, Marianna, who she is while working at her shop. 

I think the thing that really made this book so good for me was that I have never felt such a wide range of extreme emotions all within one book. In the beginning I was laughing so hard that I had to stop reading to catch my breath. Oh god, the awkwardness. It was amazing and hilarious and just so much fun. Avery is such an awkward character in certain situations and I can relate to that. There were moments when I was reading the book through my fingers because I was covering my face in embarassment for her. It was so good. I don't think I have ever laughed so much while reading a book. And then on the flip side of that, there were moments when I was crying. And it takes a lot to make me cry, especially when reading a book. The author just wrote in a way that made you feel what was going on. And when we meet Gabe's dad it is just so sad. Or in the end when things aren't going so great for Avery (I don't want to give any spoilers), it was sad and I felt it. 

So the characters ... Avery ... I like her. I began picturing her as Emma Stone, who I love, so therefore I loved Avery.
 She was open to possibilities and I definitely felt like she acted her age, if not maybe a little bit more mature. But she also, didn't take crap. When Gabe was sending mixed signals she called him on it and she wasn't a push-over. In the end she held her ground but wasn't unnecessarily stubborn about it. She was the right amount of confidence and modest. She really was just a good character. Here is a glimpse of her embarassment: 

                          “I really was planning to tell her who I am… but when I spoke, instead of saying ‘Hi, my name is Avery, I am the daughter you gave up for adoption twenty-one years ago’, I said something more along the lines of ‘Are you hiring?’”

                          “Oh. Right. Well-” I point at him, making a finger gun, clicking my tongue and winking, “maybe a rain check then.” Embarrassment floods through me. I am such a dork. What did I just do? I paste a smile on my face, refusing to let him see how mortified I am.

                          “It’s possible I called him Captain, as in Captain Beautiful. It’s possible I gave him that name in my head before I knew his real name.” I glance at my new friends and wrinkle my nose at Jonah as he covers his mouth to hide his laughter. “We shall not discuss this again.” I fix them all with a glare.


Gabe ... Usually I like an alpha male, and while Gabe wasn't some dominant he was comfortable with who he was and that is sexy as hell. He was happy with where he was in life even though things didn't work out like they planned. He was also pretty open about his feelings toward Avery. I think I really fell in love with him when he started talking about how beautiful Avery is and mentions her inner beauty more than the outer. 

                         “Apparently. Poor Tess, she wants to make sweet, sweet love to you and have all your babies,” I joke. 
                        “No. I think she’s jealous of you. She’s insecure. I told you, you’re beautiful. It’s not just how you look. It’s how you are. She might be good looking, but she doesn’t have the rest of it. She’s all surface. She’s fake. You aren’t,” Gabe says, dead serious.

Throughout the book we don't get too much about Gabe. We know he has a lot of things he is dealing with, but not many details. I think that is the one thing I didn't like about the book. With Gabe, we know he is trying to take over for his ill father at their coffee shop and that he is dealing with this huge issue of his ill father, but it is very unresolved in the end. I was really preparing myself for the sorrow that situation would bring to never see it happen. It was a little disappointing. 

Jonah ... He was a side character, but he was a good one. He was funny and supportive and I really believed in the friendship forming between Avery and him. He has funny moments and he says stuff like this: 

                              “I will cut him!” Jonah slaps his hand on the counter. “Okay, not really. I’m not a violent person. But I will send him death glares and make him uncomfortable. And I’ll tell everyone he’s a man whore.”

And the scenes between Avery and Gabe are just ... just .. steamy, yummy, delicious, HOT, all other sexy adjectives!!

                            "Let me see you.” He commands while pushing my knees apart. A sudden shyness comes over me, but I force it aside. This is no time to be timid. “I told you that you’re beautiful,” he whispers and leans down to press a kiss just below my navel at the same time he slides a finger inside me.

Whew!! *fans face*


I think the one thing that really stood out to me about this book was how it was written. The author is a really amazing writer. Some of the parts that I would read would feel almost poetic and in the way she writes. And not in a corny way. It was beautiful. I know this excerpt is long, but it really is great. This is a whole sex scene and usually I want more than just a paragraph ... but this is all I needed. It's beautiful. 

                                “Come back to my place,” Gabe asks. I say nothing, but I smile as we link fingers and begin walking to the truck. “Stay with me tonight,” he whispers as he opens the truck door, waiting for me to climb in, trailing a finger over my collarbone. I don’t answer him with words. My answer is in the kiss I lay on his lips. It’s in the way I open myself to him, letting his tongue slide against my own. It’s in the way I gasp and cling to him when he tilts my head, and pulls my hair, and drags his lips across my neck. My yes is in my hurried footsteps as we climb the stairs to his apartment, and my laughter as he ushers Buster into another room. It’s in the way I remove my clothes and lay myself bare on his bed, savoring the way his eyes drink me in. My answer is in the way I pull his jeans over his hips, taking him in my hand. It’s in my moan when he fills me, rocking into my body, moving inside me. It’s in the sweat that builds and the slick wetness between us as our hips meet again and again. My answer is the wordless cry that spills from my mouth as I come.



Overall, this book was really good. It was really well written with some great characters and a great story line. I would definitely suggest to anyone to read this. 

Follow the links below to purchase!!
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

1 comment: