Thursday, December 4, 2014

Whitney Barbetti Q&A

1.What made you want to start writing?

     In mid-2013, I was talking to a book friend of mine that I met online. I started sending installments of this true story entitled “The Lunatic.” After the first couple installments, she asked me if I ever considered being a writer and when I confessed I did, she urged me to write. Nine months later, I published HE FOUND ME.

2.What is your favorite genre of books?


Contemporary fiction. Ironically, I write new adult but I very rarely read new adult.

3.If your books were made into movies, who would you create as a star cast? (Andra, Julian, Six, Mira, Everett, Parker)


Andra - Phoebe Tonkin                    

Julian – Simone Bredariol









Six – Kelly Slater (older) but something similar to Theo James (younger)






Mira - Eva Green (older)…I haven’t found a younger version for her yet






Everett – Colin O’Donoghue











Parker - Alexandra Daddario











4.How long does it take you to write a book?

     It depends. HE FOUND ME took nine months. TEN BELOW ZERO took one month. HE SAVED ME took three months.

5.What is your favorite part of writing?


Seeing my characters become these really flawed, beautiful people.

6.Do you have any habits/traditions while writing?


     I write in my recliner, in my writing cave, with headphones in and lots of Diet Dr. Pepper and cinnamon gum.

7.Where did you come up with the idea for HFM?


     I watch a lot of mysteries and documentaries and actually follow a few missing girl cases myself. I’ve always been really intrigued by them, and I decided to write a story about a girl who voluntarily went missing.

8.What is the story behind Everett? I know he was based on a friend.


     Out of respect for his family, I don’t talk about him publicly except to say that he was someone I loved. I wrote TEN BELOW ZERO as an apology and a wish.

9.Do you feel like you include any part of yourself in your characters? Do you base any part of them on you?


     All of my main characters have pieces of me. Andra is sassy like me, Julian is a writer, Parker can be closed off like I often am, and Everett is very blunt like I am.

10.What is your least favorite part of writing?


     I’m a pantser, not a plotter, so for me, I really hate when I can’t tell where my story is going. I’m a control-freak, so in theory I should plot my books, but I just can’t.

11.If you could meet any author who would it be?


Tarryn Fisher. I’m just blown away by her gift.

12.Who inspired you the most to write?


     Besides my friend urging me, reading really great poetry inspired me to write my own, in a different form.

13.Do you have a favorite character of your books?

Everett and Mira are my favorites.

14.What would you say to someone who wanted to start writing but didn't think they could write a whole book?


     Write for yourself. Write every day and if the words don’t come, don’t get discouraged. Read really great fiction to inspire you and make a commitment to write your story.

15.What is your day job? If not writing, would you only write instead of working?


     I work in accounting for an insurance agency during the day and I teach a college class at night. I also do portrait photography. If I could, I would only write.

16.What kind of research do you do for your books?


     Um, TONS. I have more research books than pleasure books.  I talk to people in the professions I write about, I watch hours of youtube videos. It takes up a huge chunk of time.

17.Do you make things up to fit your books? (I would totally just make things up to make my book work ... "Damn right pigs can fly!! I need them to deliver messages from my farm!!")


     Haha, no, I don’t think so because I don’t write science fiction or fantasy. I try to wrap my stories up completely, with all the loose ends tucked away.

18.How do you handle negative reviews?

I stopped reading them. I’m not going to please everyone, no matter what I write.

19.Who would you fangirl over if you ever met? (an author)


Tarryn Fisher, Nora Roberts, Stephen King, Tyler Knott Gregson

20.What will you write after Six and Mira's story? Do you have other series, books, characters you are wanting to get started on?


I have a few things up my sleeve, but they’re secret for now. ;)

Random Round:

1.Think about a certain someone, what are one of the things you wish you could have told him/her?


     “I love you.” One of my greatest regrets is not saying what I felt. I don’t wish away that regret though. I’m glad I feel it, because it’s an everyday reminder to say what I feel.

2.What is your biggest fear?


Driving in snow. It paralyzes me!

3.What makes you happy?


Nachos and inappropriate jokes. And people too.

4.What's more important, family or friends?


They are one and the same, for me.

5.If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?


Itaaaaaly. Gah, I want to go to Italy.

6.Are you shy?

     It depends on the environment. I used to be painfully shy, but then I got over it. I get nervous more than shy, but I usually get over it fast.

7.If you could never fail, what would you do?

Write! Ha!

8.What's your addiction?


     Diet Dr. Pepper, cinnamon gum, lip balm, and reality shows – the kind where people are uprooted from their everyday lives and plopped somewhere new, with strangers. I’m fascinated by those shows.

9.What is your hidden talent?


I’m a pretty great cook.

10.Tell me a joke.


What’s the difference between a sin and a shame?
It’s a sin to put it in and a shame to pull it out.

Speed Round:

1.Cheetos or Doritos?


Cheetos!

2.Vans or Converse?


Vans

3.Coffee or tea?


Tea

4.Coke or Pepsi?


Diet Coke

5.Taco or sushi?


Taco

6.Rough or passionate sex?


Rough

7.Mexico or Canada?


I haven’t been to the former, so I choose Canada.

8.Cats or Dogs?


Dogs.

9.Jeans or Shorts?


Jeans

10.Morning person or night owl?


Both, I live on very little sleep!


No comments:

Post a Comment