Monday, November 17, 2014

Ten Below Zero by Whitney Barbetti Review

Rating: 4.5 (Jena)/ 5+ (Sanzana)

Synopsis: 

“In here,” he said, pushing on the skin above my heart, “you're ten below zero. And you’re closer to death than I am.”

My name is Parker. My body is marked with scars from an attack I don’t remember. I don’t want to remember. I choose to live my life by observation, not through experience. While people are laughing and kissing and connecting, I’m in the corner. Watching them live. I’m indifferent to everything, everyone. The only emotion I feel with any kind of depth is annoyance, and I feel it often.

A text message sent to the wrong number proves to be my undoing.

His name is Everett, but I call him rude. He’s pushy, he’s arrogant, he crowds my personal space, and worst of all: he makes me feel.

He chooses to wear all black, all the time, as if he’s waiting to attend a funeral. Probably because he is.

Everett is dying. And he’s spending his final days living, truly living. In doing so, he’s forcing me to feel, to heal. To come face to face with the demons I suppressed in my memory.

He hurts me, he fulfills me, he completes me. And still, he's dying.


Review: 

(Jena's)

     So I discovered Whitney and this book during an author takeover and I immediately bought this. That was almost two months ago. Why did it take me so long to read this book? I obviously loved He Found Me and would most likely love this one too ... I was scared. So very scared. I was scared this book would crush my soul. I even messaged Whitney Barbetti to confront my fears and ask for confirmation that she wouldn't make me throw my kindle. So after some pep-talking I began ... 
     This book didn't crush my soul ... but it do do things to me. It made me feels things. I laughed, I cried ... oh man, I am not a crier. I don't usually cry during books. But all of a sudden this one just hit me ... and I just couldn't help it ... tears!! I cried!! 

      I loved Everette. I've read some previous reviews where people said that he was rude and a little off-putting. I didn't get that at all. I liked his honesty and while it could come off as rude, it wasn't like he was being an asshole about it. He was just honest. And frankly he had every right to want and deliver honesty. I liked his personality.

                   "I don't want to merely exist, Parker. I want to live. I want to leave the world with that one sweet moment. I want to take. I want to dominate a memory. So when I'm gone, a part of me is left to love somewhere else."

     As frustrating as his outlook was with his situation, I could almost understand it. It didn't make it any easier, but I understood.  Frankly, I found him downright sexy. He was manly and I like it!! 

     Then there is Parker. I liked Parker, not as much as Everette, but I did like her. I am going to be a little ironic, but I found her to be a little annoying with the amount of times she talked about things that annoyed her. But I liked the risks she took with Everette. I liked watching her come to life and want to live.

                     He held my face tightly in his hands, keeping me still. The entire world dropped away when he kissed me. I wanted nothing more than to exist forever in this purgatory with Everett, with his hands on my skin and his lips pressed against mine and the warmth of his skin on my fingertips. He'd made me feel. With only words and the touch of his skin, he made me feel. 

     I liked to watch her stand up for herself. Hell, I found it sexy. I just wanted to clap for her and cheer her on. 

     Once again, there is always this part where Whitney's books go from good to freaking FANTASTIC!! I will never forget the scene between Everett and Parker after their interaction with Six and Mia. It was just beautiful and poetic and very few words were said, but it just had so much going on you could feel the tornado of emotions going on. It was amazing. And once you're in, you're in. The book just really takes off from there. It's such a good book. 

     I was little let down once we discovered the details about Parker. I guess I just expected it to play a bigger role than it did. Also, the ending was worrisome, but I almost liked it. It really kept you on the edge of your seat until the very last page. 

     Overall it was an epic book and one you won't regret!! So go follow the links below and buy the book!! Enjoy!!

(Sanzana's)

     I'm sorry, but who wouldn't give this book 5 stars?! The fact that this was based off of Whitney's best friend, I think we should give her some credit for creating something so amazing such as this! Whitney is truly a gem in the world of authors, and it's not hard to say I didn't fall in love with this book.

     I took the chance to read this book on my way to and from work on the subway. Unlucky for me, I was a hot, teary mess by the end of it, up to the point where a woman asked me if I was okay.

     If my experience wasn't clear, this book moved(in bold) me to bits and pieces, and for some reason I still loved the fuck out of it! There were parts where I forgot that one of the character's had cancer, and that is great. Like TFiOS (in italics), this just wasn't a book about cancer. But unlike it, there was a happy ending. And you know what, even if the character died, Parker is strong enough to handle the pain of her loss. I mean, she went along with the trial after all, right!

     I admit, I was scared to read it at first, but it was worth every single tear. I know this review is a little on the short side, but some books are too great for words.

- Sanzana <3

No comments:

Post a Comment