Wednesday, March 4, 2015

His To Take by Shayla Black Review

3 Stars
Racing against time, NSA Agent Joaquin Muñoz is searching for a little girl who vanished twenty years ago with a dangerous secret. Since Bailey Benson fits the profile, Joaquin abducts the beauty and whisks her to the safety of Club Dominion—before anyone can silence her for good.

At first, Bailey is terrified, but when her captor demands information about her past, she’s stunned. Are her horrific visions actually distant memories that imperil all she holds dear? Confined with Joaquin in a place that echoes with moans and breathes passion, he proves himself a fierce protector, as well as a sensual Master who’s slowly crawling deeper in her head…and heart. But giving in to him might be the most delicious danger of all.

Because Bailey soon learns that her past isn’t the only mystery. Joaquin has a secret of his own—a burning vengeance in his soul. The exposed truth leaves her vulnerable and wondering how much about the man she loves is a lie, how much more is at risk than her heart. And if she can trust him to protect her long enough to learn the truth.

     So I wasn't  huge fan of this book. Which makes me sad because I love Shayla Black. I especially love the Wicked Lovers series. I have been reading them since Jack in book one. But this one just didn't do it for me. 

     It was insta-love, which I was fine with. I tend to believe insta-love when they are in this dramatic setting. But that is about the only thing that I believe. The heroine Bailey was an OK character, nothing outstanding. She didn't do anything stupid which made me extremely happy. I was for sure she would try to run away and take care of everything on her own despite the highly trained people surrounding her, but I was pleasantly proven wrong when it didn't happen. Yay!!  But other than that I can't tell you much about her. She is a ballerina who is inexperienced. Otherwise I had a lot of repetition from her. She was constantly going on about how Joaquin doesn't want her despite what everyone actually says they see. I think that was a majority of the book. 
  
<------     My Bailey
   Then there is Bailey remembering everything. I may be WAY wrong, but she was five ... FIVE!! And all of a sudden she is remembering minute details. Everything. I just didn't believe it. I also didn't believe how fast the serial killer was moving. I mean it takes more than a day to get across the country. There was a lot of leaps made. Also, how is the NSA not worried about LOSS ... a group trying to separate from the Union? It's just very far fetched for a lot of moments that seem to be made to make it more dramatic. I would rather have realistic then enhanced. 
     Usually Shayla's books are super steamy and very sexy in just the right amount. The back of the book led me to think more would be happening. This was a VERY tame book for Shayla. I wish there was more time for Joaquin and Bailey to explore at Dominion and be more sexual, but it was very vanilla and just a lot of thoughts. I wanted the sexiness that she usually had in her books rather than just thinking. 

     I did enjoy getting caught up with the characters. It has been a while and quite a few books in the series, so it was nice to be reintroduced to everyone. I was, hoever, getting a little tired of hearing about Thorpe, Sean, and Callie. Especially Callie's "sassy looks." 

     Overall this just didn't feel like a typical Shayla Black book. It was really dragging about half way through. I plowed through the first 150 pages and then drastically slowed down and struggled to finish. But I love Shayla and I will hands down buy the next book from her with no questions asked. I can't wait for the next story. She is constantly introducing us to new characters that I look forward to learning more about. I definitely can't wait to read about Axel. *fingers crossed he gets a book* 
     I hope you still take a chance with this book. It's a decent book that will be important to read to move on in the series. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment