Sunday, March 29, 2015

Tempting Bad by M. Robinson Review

3 Stars
Brooke
I’ve come from a privileged life and an even more privileged upbringing. My parents taught me right from wrong and everything in between… except I wanted the gray area. I wanted to live life on the edge with the possibility of falling over. I didn’t care about the consequences because I had no heart…
I left that on the floor of my parents’ bedroom door, shattered.
And never went back to pick up the pieces.

Devon
Family first.
I learned the meaning of the word hate.
I learned that life is a battlefield and I stood frontline.
I learned that praying doesn’t work and God doesn’t listen.
And I learned how to be a man…
All at the receiving end of my father’s fists, my mother’s tears, and my sisters screams.
You can’t run away from your past…
It will always find you, especially when you’re asleep.

Warning: Book contains adult situations.
Sex/language. Mature readers only.

     I had a hard time with rating this book because there were moments that I was just in love with it and then there were moments when I just wanted it to be over. There were characters I LOVED and then there were ones I just didn't get. So I bounced around between a 2.5 and 3 stars but settled on 3 because I think it's mostly a "it's not you, it's me" type of situation. 

     So first off ... Tempting Bad is a standalone spin off from the other three VIP books. I HIGHLY recommend reading the books previous to this one. I have not and I feel like that set me back a bit. I had no idea what to expect and when I hit 24% it made a turn I was not expecting. And I think I would have saw  it coming if I had read the previous books. But I got over it quickly and moved on. Overall, I think I was supposed to have a better understanding of these characters, Brooke and Ysabelle, but I just didn't. 

     Having Ysabelle mentioned in this story, I am assuming some parts run parallel to her book in MVP, but I was only given enough information to frustrate me more than anything. It didn't do anything to this story, but it was brought up a lot. I wished parts of it just weren't even there or explained better. 

     Probably my main issue with the story is that I just didn't connect with Brooke. I didn't really feel the sorrow at her discovery when she was younger. It confused me a lot too, because I didn't understand what VIP was until about 26% into the book. When she talked about how she became what she became, I just wanted to say "suck it up! People have much worse things going on." And it was fine in the middle of the book. But in the end when she was falling apart and confronting her parents I just wanted to slap her tell her to take some responsibilities for her actions. If I had to listen to her say she became what she is because of her parents I was going to throw my kindle at a wall. (Second reason this books might have been me: I HATE!!!!! when people don't take responsibility for their actions. HATE. IT!) So yeah ... I had issues with Brooke. 

     Then there was Devon .... Ohhhhhh sweet baby jeebus!! That man made this book for me. His story made this book for me. Here is someone who has been through some shit and is still a decent human being and taking on more responsibility than he should for his actions. I loved Devon in this book. And I liked him with Brooke. I liked the dark situations they would be in together. His loss of control. His sweet dirty, dirty mouth. I loved it all. It was so hot. *sigh* I could go on about how much I loved him. He could be what pushed this book to a 3 star rating. 

     Overall, it was a very sexy book and I loved the hero in it. I didn't even mind Brooke through most of it. I think I could have liked the book more if I had read the previous VIP books. I know it says standalone but I would recommend reading the others first! I hope you enjoy the series. I think I am the lone wolf on the lower rating. It has some awesome ratings. So don't take my word for it. Go buy all the books and ENJOY! 


No comments:

Post a Comment